Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Maradona – the Living Legend


The City of Joy was, as expected, booming and bubbling with love, respect, emotion and affection for the legendary Maradona when he was here on a short visit a few days back. Soccer, for me has been nothing much beyond the sensationalism and adrenaline pumping; but Maradona surely was special ever since my school days.

Certainly having brought back sweet adolescent memories of my past, when I was in Std V, in 1986, it was almost like revisiting the days of yore:). The sky blue and white striped dressed little Maradona sliding and gliding through the defenders' den of the opposition looked like a newly whetted knife going through butter.

What was most striking about that World Cup was that it threw up a whole new battalion of soccer freaks overnight, courtesy, Maradona. Even one of my friends penned down a poem on this star footballer. Believe it or not, the last lines of it ran as, 'Maradona you are number 10; my pen comes to an end.' His pen might might have not progressed any further but Kolkata's love for the man himself grew taller and stronger...His visit and our grand response stood as a testimony to that.

2 comments:

Diptanshu Parui said...

Well written!

Maradona was truly our greatest childhood footballing hero! He along with Pele and Zidane are footballing legends. I consider myself lucky to have seen two of them play live on telly. I consider myself luckier to have seen lesser greats like Ronaldinho, Henry, Rijkaard and others from a close distance at FC Barcelona. And not to mention shaking hands with Messi, who is often dubbed as "Maradona's successor" by the legend himself. He will live up to the tag...perhaps.

Unknown said...

Maradona Maradona
Golden son of Argentina
What a splendid game
You played with them
West germany team of Bakenbaugher
You are no 10
My pen comes to the end.

He is The Soccer GOD. I adore him for his hand of GOD goal.